Monday, July 10, 2006

AMERICAN SPLENDOR by Harvey Pekar


Rocky called this evening shortly after 7:00 and told me PBS Radio was interviewing Harvey Pekar. I appreciated that.

I tuned in and listened to most of the interview. He agreed with the interviewer that most of his story line dealt with worry and pessimism. He also admitted he had no shame – he hung all his dirty laundry out in the public .

His stories are based on true facts of his own day to day living. He has not became wealthy over his creative work. He seems to still be struggling to make ends meet.

But, what if his comics did boost his income and his nest egg where he would have no worries - I think he would have to change his format.

He also said one of his friends, or associates, has a blog named:
OVERHEARD IN NEW YORK.

I went to OVERHEARD IN NEW YORK and checked it out. The last several Overheards were about the funniest things I have read lately…. Funny things out of the mouths of people. And they didn’t even know they were being published, otherwise it may have gone sour.

About the only thing that bugged me about the interview was Harvey using “you know” over and over. I think he tacked on “you know” on almost every sentence, or the ones that he was grasping for the right words any way. He used it many many times.

No! I do not know! If I knew, I wouldn’t be listening to the interview.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The guy in the illustration reminds me of me!

Eddie said...

Steve,
Your body lingo says you are a relaxed kind of person.... not a nervous wreck like HP.

kenju said...

I used to read "Overheard in NY" all the time. It is amazing, huh?

Eddie said...

It is funny. I am going to look at it from time to time.

Suzanne said...

Overheard in New York has a book out with choice selections from the website. You may want to read it at Barnes & Noble or Borders or some other chain store.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Thanks, I'll look at it.