Friday, November 26, 2021

Murphy's and the Long Living Solo Rockett

Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and the Radio City Rockettes brought back memories. When I was in the Navy stationed 60 miles away in Lakehurst, New Jersey, we saw the Rockettes five or six times in a two year period. When I saw them then I was amazed how disciplined and unified and coordinated they were. But most of all I was amazed at all those long bare legs. I think they were the warm up team for the latest blockbuster movie at Radio City Music Hall. But I am sure a lot of people came just to see them. Seeing those young chickadees bursting with energy in their choreograph numbers daily you might wonder what they will do when they get old; when age catches up with them. Well, I know about one. I don't know her name. My friend Don Lash, on his ramblings at seaside bars north of Seaside Heights, NJ, found an enjoyable neighborhood bar, Murphy's. In Murphy's Bar Don got to know several of the regulars. One was a little drunk they called Barney the Paper Boy. Barney was about 80 years old and had a paper route. He drunk a lots and got sentimental and cried in his beer a lot. Another regular was an aged retired Rockette. She was a talker. That was in 1963, 52 years ago. I doubt if Ms Rockette is still hanging out at Muphy's.

No comments: