Tuesday, November 02, 2021

Local Folklore

Back in the 1970s I carpooled to Atlanta to work daily with George. George is a Marietta native and so were his folks. He heard lot of informal local history and retained it, which is more than I can say. I looked forward to our daily drives. They were educational. Here is one of his George's narratives I happened to remember this morning: Outside of Marietta back before Lockheed came to town, out in the county was rural. Big and small farms. Once, a large landholder named Bill and his wife were having a heated argument. Bill got so mad he hit his wife over the head with something hard and knocked her out. He then set their house on fire. He was trying to push her under the burning house when she woke up. She put up a struggle and she overcame him and their roles reversed and she was trying to push him under the burning house with him struggling. I don't remember who won..

No comments: