Thursday, August 14, 2014

Blind Charlie Saw All


Bus, Daddy, and W.C Hunter

Dick and Stanley Hunter



My daddy would have  turned 103 years old yesterday, if he was still around.

When I was growing up from age 7 to age 15 I lived in the same house that he lived in with his family as a boy.  It was on Manget Street, on the edge what is now Larry Bell Park.  Then, I think it was the country work farm .

There was an old blind man named Charley who lived around the corner on Glover Street, right behind Glover Machine  Works.  He and his elderly sister lived in the old rackety unpainted  shack, I think, until they died. There was a clothes line that led from the back porch to their outhouse.  Not only did clothes hang on the line but it was also a hand guide to get Charlie to the outhouse.

Charley knew the Hunter boys well, Daddy and his seven brothers.  Whenever I could  I would drop by and visit Charley and his sister.  He always had a funny story to tell of Daddy and his brothers mischievous antics and pranks.   
I remember one time Charlie got a job as a taxi company dispatcher.  I think he was meant for that job, he knew the Marietta streets like the palm of his hand and had excellent diction.  However, he didn't last in it long, he died.

Charlie was buried in what is called a Potters Field, A.K.A.  paupers' cemetery, which was off of Barnes Mill Road.  I think the I-75 came over the area  of the graves, and well, bye bye remains.   ...Probably.

I wish I had taken notes on the things  Charley told me about the Hunter Boys.  Now, I don't remember a damn thing. 

c1918, Daddy, aka, Ed Hunter and his brother Jack


c1921 Daddy and older brother W.C., Unknown, and the Hunter family Cow



No comments: