Thursday, October 10, 2013

Allen Moody (1820 1872)





It is always nice and relaxing to read someone else's mail;  You  get to pry into the lives of other people without actually being involved..  Just ask a former Postal employee.    That is also why it is so nice to be a family reseacher.


Allen Moody (1820 - 1872)  


Allen Moody [5173], son of Allen Moody [141] and Nancy Murphy [142], was born on 29 Oct 1820 in Pendleton Dist, Pickens Co, SC, died on 23 Feb 1872 in Tunnel Hill, Whitfield Co, GA at age 51, and was buried in West Hill Cem., Dalton, Whitfield Co, GA.

General Notes: A letter written to William Moody from M.J. Moody:

New Orleans, La, Nov 16 1903
Dear Uncle,
     I have been a long time find out your post office and when I was at home in Dalton a few days a just learned that ya was still alive and got you mail at Jockey and nowI will write you a letter so I am proud to have the chance as writing you again.  How I learned that your post office was Jockey your son Alfred is at work for a R.R. co at contracting co. near Rockmart, Ga., and my brother William's son Bedney is at work for the same company near Rockmart and the boys found out each other and through Bedney I found out your post office and I want to come out and see you next summer when I come home and I want you to write me as often as you can for I am always pleased to hear from you and I hope everything will be so I can come and see you next summer.  I am still on the Railroad.  I am a conductor on a passenger train run from New Orleans to Vicksburg, Miss.  Have a good job an am doing well.  Have a very good start.  My wife and children live in Dalton, Ga., and my oldest girl is most grown and the second one is a good large girl.  I have 4 girls.  The 2 oldest have a very good education and play the piano.  I want to give them a fine shcooling and if nothing happens to me I will give them all a good education.  Now uncle write to me soon as you get this and I will write you often.  You can send my letters to Dalton, Ga., and my wife will forward them to me as she always know just where I am.  Uncle I will close for this time hoping that you and all the family are well and getting along alright.
     I remain as such, Your Nephew,

                M. J. Moody
               #1416 Peniston Street
                 New Orleans, La

Noted events in his life were:

•  He served in the military. Mexican War (applied for a pension)

Allen married Elizabeth J. Nichols [5174] [MRIN: 1877] on 21 Mar 1848. Elizabeth was born on 1 Mar 1824 in Greenville, , SC, died on 22 Feb 1901 in Tunnel Hill, Whitfield Co, GA at age 76, and was buried in West Hill Cem., Dalton, Whitfield Co, GA. They had eight children: Ora, Mary Bell, John Allen, Chloe Jane, William Christopher, Henry Bedney, Minnie, and Monroe Jackson.

No comments: