Monday, October 29, 2007

A Scary Story That Really Happened!! heh heh


This is a true story.,, really, I was there, I was part of it. Hold on to your seats:

Glover Street in Marietta now is the home of a Sears Warehouse, a Texaco Warehouse, the Cobb County Board of Education, and at the corner of Glover and Fairground Streets is the Marietta Daily Journal. Across the street from the Marietta Journal is the Little League field, which was fairly new back then.

There used to be houses and patches of woods up and down the street. Before the Marietta Journal was in that location, behind the area was a patch of woods that led by a small branch and the trail continued up the hill beside an old barn which belonged to the Nichols family who lived in a nice white two level house in front. We called the trail "The Hollow".

The barn was haunted. And so was "The Hollow". Or at least we thought so.

One summer evening in our preteen years several of us boys were standing on Glover Street at the mouth of the Hollow. It looked like a big dark opened mouth. We were daring each to walk in. We heard a noise in the tree thicket banging around. I don't know about my peers but I imagined ghost of some kind, insane and on a rampage.

Wanting to be known as a brave person - after all, image is everything - I told my friends I would alone go into the Hollow.... I felt some silent "ooohhhs" and "aahhs".

I went in.

Although, standing out on the street the hollow gave the appearance of a big black hole but on the inside, because of the strong field lights from the Little League park I could see the outline of some of trees and bushes to make out how the trail went. My memory also helped.

Again, I heard the thrashing of something. I thought I could not run out, I would be labeled as a coward. I walked up the little hill that led to the Nichols' barn.

Half way I looked up and in the middle of the trail was a pair of green eyes looking me.

I slowly backed up. The green eyes started moving towards me at a speed faster than I could walk backwards.

The green eyes was at me and went to my eyes! I tripped (try to walk backwards down a hill without tripping) The next thing I knew my dog Skipper (part bird-dog and part collie) was standing over me licking me in the face.

I think the Little League lights caused Skipper's eyes to reflect green - like a photo-flash's red-eye... same principal I think.

And that is the scary story.

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

I probably would have had a heart attack.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
I thought I would too.

kenju said...

I know that I would have!

cbish68 said...

The important question is...did your buddies hear you scream like a little girl or did you manage to keep the brave facade? =)

Eddie said...

Judy,
If I thought about it, I probably would have to. Ignorance probably saved me.
Chris,
I forgot, but I think I probably screamed like a little girl - which of course, I probably blamed on my voice changing, telling them I didn't scream at all - I was just hollering manly stuff.

Bhob said...

Sort of reminiscent of that Ray Bradbury story about the ravine, "The Whole Town's Sleeping".

Eddie said...

Bhob,
Wasn't that adapted by EC Comics?