Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Welcome To The Sunny South


The latest issue of GEORGIA BACKROADS magazine (Autumn 2007) has some interesting articles. Two of the articles deal with racism in Georgia’s past. One article is about slavery and the other is about the Jim Crow state of mind.

I don’t see how my progenitors could have condoned such. But apparently they did.

Which brings me to the above picture. I copied it from a great aunt’s collection years ago. She told me this picture was a post card from a picture that was super-big and was on a wall of the Atlanta Airport in the 1940s facing the doors people came in the building from the planes. She told me underneath the picture said “WELCOME TO THE SUNNY SOUTH!”

What was politically correct over 60 years ago is not necessary politically correct today. Time changes.

The mountain in the background has the shape of Kennesaw Mountain here in Marietta.

4 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

http://rhs1960.blogspot.com/2007/08/watermelon-pie.html

A more politically correct depiction of watermelon in the 1920s, from my sister's photo album.

I'm always amused when there's talk of 'soul food' -- we all ate the same food.

Eddie said...

Jean,
I copied and pasted the rhs address and it came up "cannot find page" - so, I'll try off and on. The other day somebody gave me an address and I kept trying and kept getting the cannot find page - all but the last time, then it all connected.

Jean Campbell said...

I forget which programs will automatically direct you and which need a little string of code to make them clickable, sorry. I'll fix it. Maybe.


>Watermelon

Eddie said...

Jean,
Thank you for that link... it came through fine.
BBQ goat and watermelon pig??? I always thought I was a bbq connoisseur, but I haven't tried that.
That blog is the one with the count-down until your HS reunion if I remember right. .. great blog.