Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Movie MISS POTTER

Yesterday we rented the movie MISS POTTER. It starred Renée Zellweger, Ewan McGregor, and Emly Watson.

MISS POTTER was the story of Beatrice Potter who created the Peter Rabbit series of children books. The movie hinted that Miss Porter believed the characters she created by illustrating were alive… sometimes she kidded with them and sometimes she scolded them – of course she may have been sane as the rest of us but her lunacy was just the creative work of the movie makers.

I remember Peter the Rabbit (or was it Peter Cottontail?) was one of the first books I took on myself to read. I lost myself in it and her descriptions of all the talking animals around the farm pond – I felt they were real beings, she same as their creator.

To help herself forget her fiancé’s untimely death she bought a farm out in the hilly countryside of England. Then she got on the land preserving kick. Bakers from London were buying up large farms having financial problems and making small lots – what would be considered subdivisions here. Beatrice came to the rescue and would outbid the bankers and preserved the property to stay as it was.

I wish we had a Beatrice Potter in this town.

The acting was superb and the English countryside beautiful. I didn’t cry even once

2 comments:

kenju said...

I've been wondering if that movie was worth my time. I'll order it, since you liked the scenery.

Eddie said...

Judy,
Order it?
Netflicks?