Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday Morning Action

There is a couple that live in our neighborhood that we have know for near 30 years. They both have always seemed positive and upbeat. They live about three four blocks away.

As a matter of fact, one time when our boys were young he came by one Christmas season in his Santa Clause outfit and had an on-the-knee chat with my two sons.

He makes his living by being positive and smiling. He is a motivational speaker. He has been paid by several large organizations to give inspiring talks to the employees to produce more. I know the Postal Service has had him several times to give talks. Frankly, it always bugged me that a non-producer type of person trying to verbally inspire a producer type of person to be more productive.

He also has a few books out about how to get ahead in your company.

His wife has always been in upper management executive type with an off-beat wit. In their front yard is a five foot tall stump of a pine tree cut down. She planted some kind of ivy on the top and nailed eyes, nose, and a mouth below the green ivy and it is striking.

This morning Willow and I were out running about a mile from our house. And the Mr. materialized walking. We greeted each other and talked. Recently, downtown Marietta had a “Christmas in July” sale and he was commissioned to be Ebenezer Scrooge to walk around the Square dressed as Ebenezer Scrooge would have dressed and play the part.

This morning Mr. had car troubles. They have had a red convertible for several years and he told me it was broken down in shopping center nearby. Could I help him pull it home. I said sure. I took Willow home, changed out of my sweaty tee-shirt and went to his house.

We took his van to the shopping center where the convertible was. On the way he asked me did I hear about his wife and I said no. He said he hasn’t seen her but twice in several months. She is at a alcoholic rehabilitation clinic. Wow! We talked about her drinking problem…. Which I think living with a positive thinker like he that would always be trying to make lemonade out of lemons might drive one to drink.

I feel what they both must be going through.

He turned the motor on the car and it ran a few seconds and went dead. He asked me if I had any idea what the trouble might be. I said no.

He had canvas straps he hooked to his van after we pushed the car out from the curb. He took down the top and told me it will be more fun with the top down.

I said, yeah, I can whistle at women as he tows me down the road. I went on to say that I doubt if I would impress anybody being towed while I am whistling. Besides, I can’t whistle. However, I do have a plastic whistle at home – I wonder how impressive that would be, whistling at women with a plastic whistle while being towed?

I didn’t realize it but is scary being towed like that. I remember being in that position before and it didn’t bother me, I just handled it. But this time I was apprehensive – no power, being towed – if he had stopped suddenly I wasn’t sure my reflexes would be quick enough for me to slam on my brakes.

But, we have no problem. On the way, I looked around on the dash trying to figure out what kind of red convertible this was but couldn’t.

At their house we parked on a hill in front of his house. There the plan was for him to get in the drivers seat and I would just push enough manually to get him rolling and he could turn the wheels into his driveway, and coast to the end. Then, when he had it towed away to a shop it would be easier for the wrecker to get.

I pushed. Somehow he didn’t turn sharp enough and the side and back plowed into a brush thicket. I think that pretty red car got scratched up.

He mentioned that it was one of the few Linguinis of that kind in existence. I thought Linguini was a pasta. We push and tugged and I got on the other side of the bushes and held them bent back and he gave another push and jumped in and the coasted to a clear spot in his driveway.

Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

He drives a Lamburgini? Damn. What a punchline! Sounds like a nice fellow, though. Hope things work out with his wife.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Me too. She is very a nice person with my kind of wit (so how bad can she be?).
I saw her at a concert uptown in the early spring and she didn't look good. Then I couldn't put my finger on it, but now I understand.