Sunday, February 04, 2007

Super Bowl - 2nd Most EatingTime in U.S.?


Here we are! Super Bowl Sunday!

This evening millions of people, mostly men, will hunker in front of the TV and do their “Go Go!” or “Hold’em back!” grunts. Tons of neat little finger foods and much beer will be consumed. I think I heard it is the second most feasting day of the year. It is a ritual.

Why?

Because it is there.

During the game you will see some humdinger innovative commercials and probably a fantastic half-time show…. Wardrobe malfunction or not.

Once when I was a time keeper at the Atlanta Post Office the upper management asked one of my co-workers would he go to the Super Bowl with a free ticket and all he had to do was to take names of fellow Postal co-workers that were also at the game. I think it was in New Orleans that year. When he returned his list the names were compared to who had advance approved leave and who called in on sick leave.

In a short time he was promoted to the head of our department. It pays to kiss ass and tell on your peers.

The First Baptist Church of Marietta will televise the game on a big screen TV. I guess there is a message there.

A couple of years ago a lady I used to know, who my family lived next door to, died. I grew up with their many children. When I went to the funeral home to pay my respects the lady’s children were there, even the one with Alzheimer’s disease, but I was the only visitor that wasn’t a family member.

She was an very active member of her church. It was the same church I went to as a child, Crestview Baptist Church. I was hoping to see some of my old church member friends to renew our acquaintances. Then one of the children told me that “T.W.”* ( a deacon) said anybody that wished could drop by his house and have a little fellowship and watch the Super Bowl. Then, I knew why no other visitors were there.





*T.W. has been a deacon since I went to Crestview Baptist Church about 60 years ago. I bet he has changed – I probably would not recognize him. Within the pat 6 months I found out T.W. is a distant Tyson relative of mine. Not through the local Tyson family, but the Tysons that settled in Washington County, Georgia, in the mid 1800s. I am probably more closer related to you, whoever you are.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the guy who took names at the Super Bowl; how in the world could he have found all of them in the large crowds of people?

Eddie said...

Judy,
If I remember correctly, all the Atlanta Postal Employees tried to stay in or near a certain motel and that is where they had their big party the night before the Super Bowl. I'm sure he didn't probably didn't get everybody's name, but being a time keeper he pretty much knew a lot people in the work force by name.... the ones most likely to call in for unscheduled absences anyway, we came in contact with those the most. I think 5 or 6 hundred people called in sick for that weekend, which was about what they predicted from history of the last couple of years before.

kenju said...

How sneaky! Lol

Anonymous said...

ed...i spent superbowl sunday (aka my birthday!) dining on cake, rotell dip, chips and wine...tee hee

Eddie said...

We did our share on Superbowl Sunday by watching the Paula Dean cooking show on how to prepare food for a Superbowl party.
And, we watched Presently Prince's half time show.

Anonymous said...

i really dug prince's performance. maybe it was because i am a child of the 80s, but i remember when we all considered purple rain to be "art"...

Eddie said...

I never liked Prince because he was so pouty and moody - like he got famed by being self-centered.