Saturday, February 24, 2007

Fine Dining At CLE L'S


Yesterday we had lunch at Clell’s. It is no longer owned by Clell but the spirit of the greasy spoon eatery lives on by its new owner. I bet my cholesterol jumped a few points after eating a country fried steak smother in white gravy and two cat head biscuits.

Clell, before he opened it, was over the lunch counter at Atherton’s Drug Store.

You may remember a previous entry here that I told of Clell kicking a bunch of us out of Atherton’s because Larry B. started throwing his french fries around.

The eatery is nothing fancy. Just plain tables and you don’t wait to be seated, you rush and grab a seat before anybody else grabs it. The only pretentious thing about it is the old times gone by giant black and white pictures of downtown Marietta on one wall.

It looks like a place that attracts natives of Marietta, in fact, I know it does. A lot of my friends eat here for breakfast from time to time. Larry Holcombe (recent posting) ate at Clell's (good gossiping bed) almost everyday – which is a testimony of their fine greasy foods – see where Larry is now.

I saw no one I recognized, but again, no one recognized me. We have all changed since our young-buck years.

As we drove up we saw a lot of service type trucks in the parking lot; electricians, plumbers, etc.

I used to work as a carry-out boy next door at The Big Apple Supermarket, which has been bulldozed away and is now a parking lot.

The eatery used to be a Waffle House. The high what-used-to-be Waffle House sign says CLE L. One of the Ls fell off, I hope it didn’t hit someone or damage a car.

5 comments:

kenju said...

Pray tell, what are cat head biscuits?

Anonymous said...

My first real job was at a supermarket that is also no longer there. I think the entire street is different.

Eddie said...

Judy,
A cathead biscuit is a biscuit the size of a cat's head.

Steve,
I think people just stay away from old stores. So, they are bulldozed away and replaced.... and we pay the costs, worked in their prices of cours.

Suzanne said...

Mmmm... that place sounds great. I love Waffle House, too, so I'm really salivating now.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Me too - sometimes I think my love of good, not-so-healthy food is my burden to bare.