Saturday, August 05, 2006

A Wandering Friday

As I have mentioned more than once in my blog Anna is off on most Fridays. That is our gallivanting day. Yesterday, after Anna got a haircut the theme for the day was look for a paper or plastic plates, preferably baby blue, for a baby shower for a co-worker and his wife and upcoming baby boy yet-to-be-born.

The shower is in early September but it is not too early to start looking for things. We visited at least three party supply stores and a number of other stores likely to have stuff like that.

I was getting very tired and sleepy. I was afraid I was going to slip off into a coma never to be awake again.

I am not a good shopper. I like to go directly into a store, buy whatever target purchase I went for and leave. I am not good at drifting aimlessly from product to product picking them up, turning them upside down, then putting it down and going to the next one… on and on without end. I wish I was a more enthused shopper, but it in my blood not to me – I have to find things within eyesight to keep me amused.

Regardless of my near coma condition I noticed some of my surroundings:
At a party supply store the proprietor was an Indian (Eastern type). He was in his late 50s or 60s, very brown skin but strikingly white hair. He looked very relaxed and at peace with himself. He wore sandals. There were two employees, one an Asian and the other was apparently the Indian’s son. To the Asian he politely addressed him as “sir”, which I thought to treat people with respect never hurts.
A fast talking Caucasian battery salesman came in and looked over his battery display turn sty and went ahead and replaced some from his large carry-case. After he did it he explained what he did to the display and the Indian elderly nodded as he told him, not asking for proof . The slick salesman gave the Indian a bill and he waddled to the cash register and paid him cash.
At a grocery store two enlisted Air Force men in fatigues were buying a few things on their way home. On three or four different occasions I noticed that people wanted to stop and talk to them… one old man, who looked like a natural grouch smiled from ear to ear when he talked to them. Everybody who stopped them to talk to them were friendly.

Then, my bad shoulder, the one that has been operated on started hurting. I guess it knows it cue… when I start slipping off into a coma it is to start emitting pain to keep me awake – and it did a good job. I can’t be bored with a throbbing pain.

I decided that I couldn’t take anything for it because I am already taking my limit of things like that with my baby aspirin each day and my Tylenol PM.

This was after dark, maybe near 9pm. Anna suggested we go to the new nearby CVS Pharmacy that we haven’t been in yet and see what the druggist suggests. The thought of wandering up and down the aisles of the new store looking for blue paper or plastic plates – aarrrggggggg!!!!

Anna went by herself. She came back with Arthritis Tylenol. The druggist recommended that I leave my baby aspirin and Tylenol PM off for the night. I did and it worked. I forgot about my pain.

All’s well that ends well.

4 comments:

kenju said...

I know it works well - it does for me - but it can also raise your BP and make your feet swell if you take a lot of it - so be careful.

Eddie said...

Judy,
It has been almost 24 hours and I only had one. I don't think it will be a problem.
However, if you have some good MJ, past me a snork (kidding).

Anonymous said...

Those service guys sure are getting support, which is great. I think sometimes when you go out on the town some of the coolest things come from watching people....

Eddie said...

Steve,
You are right. The ordinary people are the best entertainment.