Sunday, August 06, 2006

Night Blooming Sirius or Cereus


About twenty-five years ago near midnight my in-laws called excitedly asking me to come over with my camera. I was off that night.

I grabbed my camera and quickly drover over to their house. Their house isn’t but a few miles away.

They had in a pot a Night Blooming Sirius in it. It was a big plant with a very bright blossom on it. It blooms rarely – I forgot how often, no more than once a year, but I think it was something like every four or five years. I ran a google search and saw some pretty photos but nothing that told their frequency of blooming.

Anyhoo, It had a stout looking stalk with the blossom in full bloom at the top. It smelled to high heaven. It was the Night Blooming Sirius’s time to mate. It had an erection.

7 comments:

kenju said...

Cereus, Eddie. It is spelled Cereus. Mr. kenju calls me a knot-it-all - and I thought you'd want to know. Check it out here:

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/july/papr/nbcereus.html

Your photo of it is good!

Eddie said...

Cereus folks....
The way I came up with the spelling I used was looked up the way I thought it sounded in the dictionar and it said it was the brightest star in the sky - so, that made sense. So then I ran a Google Search and sure enough they had page after page of Night blooming Siriuses.
But, I'll go along with your spelling too.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Auto light covers Macro antivirus outlook xp Contactos lesbianas madrid land rover warranty ralph lauren tote handbag maytag washer burned motor busty milfs fucked

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » »

Anonymous said...

Mine blooms yearly, and frequently. It is also pink and white as they come in many colors.

Anonymous said...

We have two plants and recently had three blooming and now there are two more starting. On my other plant, we have seven coming out (hopefully they will all bloom eventually). I have had our plant now for some 12 years and this is the most we have had.