Sunday, June 24, 2018

Taylor Phillips, Brave Player and Co-worker





Today in the Marietta Journal’s COBB LIFE Magazine the last section are photos of people that attended the VININGS BANK barbecue for its customers. 

One of the pictures was an old postal co-worker Taylor Philips.    Taylor was identified as saying he played for the Milwaukee Braves when they won he Series in 1957.

That is him!  I have not seen Taylor since about 1981.  He transferred to the Power Springs Post Office and I transferred to the Marietta Post Office about then.

Taylor, the late Chuck Watson, probably the late Dilworth, and I worked on the midnight shift in the time keeper’s office, a.k.a. PSDS office at the Post Office, in the Federal Annex on Spring and Forsyth Streets. In the center of Atlanta.

Taylor did not talk much about his time with the Braves, except that he had to go the Braves Spring Training every year to pitch to batters (it was in his retirement contract).

I think what stands out in my memory of my time with Taylor Phillips was the time he gave me a piece of furniture, I forgot what, he and his wife was throwing away.  I went to their home in Hiram and took it off their hands. 

Also  that we had a working plot to get some of Howard Hughes money by writing him a very touching letter.  We planned, but we were all talk.


No comments: