Thursday, June 14, 2018

Hunter Cabin Resurrected!






I got an interesting email yesterday from Betty, a long time friend, fellow researcher, and distant cousin.  I haven’t heard from her in years.  But first let me fill you in.

My great-g-g-grandfather John Hunter (1775-1850) built the above cabin in Union County, Georgia, not far from Volgel State Park and Blood Mountain.  Up until recently, although deserted,  was considered the oldest man-made dwelling in Union County. 
It sat in the middle a field with Notley River behind it.  Not that it has anything to do with this but the Notley River is one of the rare rivers that flow north.

Once my sons and I visited the cabin and I was amazed how small it was inside.  I think our den is bigger than the whole cabin.

About five years ago, the land John Hunter’s cabin was on.  The new owners said it would have to be destroyed to make way for a “mountain cabin” development.

Nope!  My distant cousin Charley Hunter came forward, bought it, and paid to have the boards and thing marked and cataloged so one day it could be reassembled.


Charlie Hunter, his nephew Prof Andrew Wallis, and behind them, the cabin packed and tagged.



Betty’s email said that  the day is here.

The reassembled cabin will have its grand opening at the Blairsville Farmers’ Market, this Saturday,   I suppose it will be on display there from now on.

If any Hunter relatives are interested in attending, I Googled the Blairsville Farmer's Market and it is 148 Old Smokey Road.

No comments: