Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday Sermon : Mistakes & Double Standards


Everybody makes mistakes. To err is divine, or so the general consensus believe until somebody they don’t like “errs”…. Then it is non-forgivable.

At the postal service when I was a scheme examiner part of my duty was to randomly check clerk’s sorting mail accuracy. They legally were allowed a 5% error ratio. If I found they missed more than that then I would have to work on that with them.

When I worked in the time keeper’s office I remember one time a lady name Catherine, who was being groomed for a supervisor, on the payroll section she was assigned, had a 4% errors and management gave her a cash superior accomplishment award for only having 4% errors. However, when another person did the same section payroll and had 3% errors they tried to suspend him. He had 1% errors less than a person that received an award for not having least amount of errors. When the union representative brought this to management attention they quietly drop the charge against him – but didn’t give him an award.

It matters who makes the mistake whether it is acceptable or unforgiving or not.


When George W. Bush was in the Whitehouse he made many mistakes and the Republicans explained away, covered up, or forgave his blunders while the Democrats jumped up and down screaming bloody murder. Now, the shoe is on the other foot and Obama is making mistakes it is the Republicans are jumping and up and down and screaming bloody murder and the Democrats are on the defensive.

As CBS Sunday Morning Show last week pointed out not all mistakes are bad. The America Continent was discovered on a navigational mistake…. Other great places or things were either discovered or invented on miscalculations.

With that in mind let us think about all the grammar and spelling mistakes have I made on this blog. An’t I divine?

3 comments:

Si's blog said...

I am more devine than you are, so there.

kenju said...

LOL....when I was the mail clerk for the phone company (during the dark ages) I had a 0% error rate! No one checked my mail sorting abilities.....LOL

Eddie said...

Si,
I bet I'm more DeVine, Andy DeVine that is.

Judy,
You had a 0% error rate! (just leave out the 2nd part that you were never check - nobody will know).