Monday, March 02, 2009

Son of Grandson of KING KONG


On this date in 1933 the KING KONG movie premiered at Radio city Music Hall in NYC.

Above is the introduction of the MAD comic book version, illustration by Will Elder – issue #6. Click on the picture and see the tiny artistic details.

Hollywood cannot let go of a good thing - it continued to make KING KONGs…. I suppose the latest, 2005, directed by Peter Jackson and starred Jack Black and Naomi Watts was the best remake – but I think not better than black and white original starring Fay Wray.

To me, the first one was spell-bounding. I remember the first time I saw it I sat by myself in the theater, probably the Strand, transfixed. The movie was innovative with special effects and horror.

Another thing interesting – a little blond woman and a creature very much out of proportion creature as her running buddy – a concept unheard of! Now, Walt Disney might excuse himself from the freeze machine and say, “Wait! Haven’t you ever heard of Peter Pan and Tinkerbell?”

3 comments:

Si's blog said...

Wouldn't it be great to be able to draw comics like that? And to think up the stuff that was in Mad and others of that ilk?

Eddie said...

Si,
To draw for and to write material for MAD and others in that category, you for sure had to have your own drummer to march to.

Si's blog said...

You mean you have to have a drummer? I don't want no stinkin' drummer.

Maybe Gene Krupa can be my drummer. Gene and I could have a real party. That's it, I want Gene for my drummer. We could write some really Mad stuff.