Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Poker Face

 



The other night when wet Brad Martin and his entourage at the Pub, after we left, I came across someone  or something unexpected and I have been thinking about it off and on since:

In he parking lot I crossed paths with a long-time acquaintance which is now an ex-neighbor.  He and his wife moved to Cartersville to get away from th traffic in Marietta.

When we almost bumped into him I almost did not recognize him because his wife was not with him.  It is the only time I have seen him without his wife.  I mentally thought she was part of him. 

In the neighborhood they went for about a 2 or 3 mile walk every morning.  That is how we met.  On their walks he carries dog treats which helps a growling dog become friendly.  He always tried to give Willow some dog treats but she was either too shy or thought she was too good and turned up her nose.   Every time we meet accidentally we would fill in each other what was going on in our lives.  One time they were in a crowd protesting he decaying Sprayberry Corners Shopping Center.

So this night he was far from home (over 20 miles at least) and his wife wasn’t with him.

I asked him what was he doing “way down here” without his wife.

He said he was down here to play poker, which I suppose he was going o play poker in the place I just left.

I wonder do they for keeps?  Surely they do, for him to drive that far.  Do they go to a back room and pull down a shade and have a lookout sitting outside?

Really, I know of a place in Marietta that did have a lookout.  When the lookout saw the police turn into a certain street, this was before cell-phones, he had some other ingenious contraption to warn them.

If you lose more money do they break your leg?

Wow!  This is a big boys’ game!  I think I will stick with Monopoly and Solitary.


No comments: