Tuesday, October 05, 2021

I'm Free!

 

We stopped our PO Box service yesterday and today I feel like a free man!

Or do I?

We signed up for a PO box 21 years ago.  We did it because the man across the street was a drunk and a druggy and he worked on boats.  It is just hard to maneuvering a boat in your yard by pulling it in a vehicle  while loaded or stoned.  I think over a few years he knocked down our mailbox at least 5 times, probably more.

When he ran over normally he would admit it and replace it, I say normally, twice he didn’t without us saying “are you sure.”  One time his 4 year old son said something like, “Yeah you did Daddy, I saw you!” and the other time it was the son.  He was playing in the truck and put it in gear and our mailbox was knocked down again.

Going to the post office everyday (except Sunday) I would  often see ex-coworkers and find out the latest gossip.  But now,  almost all I knew either retired, transferred or died.

I realized all my old friends have moved on when one Saturday I walked in the back door.  I didn’t recognized anybody, and they quickly ushed me out, threatening to call the police.

Also the guy across the street died.  So I couldn’t use him for an excuse. 

But lately going to the post office daily got to a pain in the ass.  It seemed  always inconvenient

Old habits die hard anyway.

No comments: