Friday, October 08, 2021

Mind Games

 


This evening on the way home I noticed an Overnight Freight Truck on a side of the road waiting into get in the flow of traffic.
I think they have kept the same logo they have had in 1965 -1968 when I worked for the Sinclair Refining Company warehouse on Parrot Avenue in northwest Atlanta. why change a good thing?
Another good thing they had back then but I doubt if they still have her now, after all, that was over 45 years ago. She was a very sexy whispery sounding young lady that, well, just whispered in your ear when you called for the dispatcher.
As the warehouseman, at times we had to make shipments of types of petroleum based products to specified places in the southeast. We had a book to guide us to tell us what trucking company would go in the Carolinas, North or South, Florida, and all the other states. If I remember correctly Overnight Trucking Company had the best delivery to all points in North Carolina. Every time we had an order for North Carolina I couldn't wait to dial Overnight's number to hear that sexy voice whisper in my hear, "Overnight." One of Overnight's drivers told me her first name. I thought I was special when the next time I called and said her name and asked to speak to the dispatcher. I started off by saying her name, and then saying this is Eddie Hunter at Sinclair, I need to talk to your dispatcher. She was silent for a moment and then said, "OK Eddie".
We never got beyond small talk and saying our first names but it a light moment in sometimes hectic days.
I kept asking the Overnight drivers what she looked like and one finally told me she looked like wrinkled old great grandmother, and the reason she whispered is because her lungs has been eaten away with nicotine.
Oh well, easy come, easy go.
No photo description available.

No comments: