Saturday, September 02, 2017

Happy Labor Day and Dragon Con Weekend


Make-Believe Old pals, Eddie Hunter and Al Felstein





Happy Labor Day and Dragoncon Weekend.
About 18 or 19 years ago my son Adam and I went to the annual Dragoncon Convention in Atlanta.  To name drop, we were on the free list of being helpers of the late cartoonist Skip Williamson.
There, we met Al Feldstein, retired editor of MAD Magazine for over 30 years.  In fact, when Al took over he changed its style and increased sales.  With Harvey Kurtzman at the helm it attracted people with a sophisticated humor and Feldstein changed it to attract the average pre-teen with not so sophisticated  humor.
I resented him for that.
But after meeting Al, and we talked and talked I told him how I felt and he looked apologetic, and it turned out he was a good old guy after all.  I told him I forgave him.

Now, he could sleep at nights.

Denis Kitchens (publisher and collaborator with Harvey Kurtzman)



Skip Williamson


No comments: