Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A Way To Feel Better




We recently had a french drain system installed to prevent our basement getting flooded, which it usually did,  during a hard rain.  It wasn't cheap.
Someone asked me at the dog park how was the French drain working.  I said I won't know until it rains.
Yesterday a "watered down" version of Hurricane Irma came.  Our basement flooded, the worse ever.
With our shop-vac we vacuumed up about 40 gallons of water.  In minutes it was quickly replaced with 40 gallons and more.
I felt upset.  I felt robbed.  I felt violated.  That was good money "down the drain".
Then I remembered Texas and Florida and the news weather coverage on TV.
It made me feel thankful, it could be much worse.
It also reminded me of a saying that went something ike this:
"I felt bad because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet."
I'm not sure feeling better over someone else's worse misery is the right thing to do either.


No comments: