Saturday, December 27, 2008

Let Your Memory Fill in the Missing Part



If you were living in Marietta, say before 1960, and was at least a teenager your memory can probably complete the picture. You are looking at what was the Marietta Train Depot then. To the right is the Kennesaw House and to the left, jutting out of the border about half-way, is only a roof corner of a building.

You memory may have reminded you of the railroad building with the loading docks that went around it. One side would be for unloading the train and the other dock on the opposite side of the building was for loading the same stuff onto trucks, or visa versa.

If you materialized in Marietta after the 60s the building roof corner would do nothing for your memory. The building was bulldozed away many years ago.

And then your mind wouldn't remember the Texaco Station on Whitlock Avenue which was directly behind it. The Krystal eatery is there now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever go to the YWCA located behind the Church (First Presbyterian?) off of Church Street? We went there after school to dance to the Jukebox and also on some Saturday nights when WFOM would sponsor Hops.
The reason I am bringing this up is the relative location to the railroad track.
When walking the tracks from the YMCA towards town there was a large obscured culvert under the left side of the tracks. It was built like a concrete shelter rather than just a big pipe. This culvert stayed dry unless there was a torrential rain. We knew it as the "Hobo Hideout". There were always a lot of empty beer cans, liquor bottles, and remains of food containers under there. As you know in the 50's and 60's Hobo's still frequently rode the trains, and would stop off in Marietta. We never saw any Hobos. That was probably a good thing.

Skip

Eddie said...

Skip,
It seems I heard of the culvert you are talking about but never seen it myself.
I don't have the time now to tell of what I observed about the homeless in that area... we are going out to cheer the new babe in. so later.

Eddie said...

Skip,
The only thing I had to add was several years ago on Sunday mornings I would run downtown Marietta for exercise... and go in and out of alleys and little side streets and all. Well, that early I usually disturbed or ran into homeless people waking up around the RR tracks and the Marietta Station Walk area - and if I didn't see them I would see what they left behind. Sad.

Unknown said...

I remember that Texaco Station that later became the site of the Krystal.

I'm pretty sure it was where I once had my old Dodge starter replaced there, and a little other work. Back then stations also sold tires, changed oil and did repairs.