Monday, December 08, 2008

I'm Back!




Now, you are to back up, put your hands to your mouth and scream and trip and fall backwards. It is all in the script.

I am been sick for almost week with a bout of pneumonia. I didn’t realize when you cough with pneumonia you chest feels as if it being crushed by pounds of cut up glass that somehow got into your lungs.

I found it paid, in less pain, only take quick breaths to fool the Mean Mr. Pn.

The sickness also drained in of the little energy I had. I found myself lying around in a stupor most of the time not wanting to read, watch TV, to computer stuff, or anything else other than wallow in my misery.

I didn’t even have a appetite. I wanted nothing to eat – so, that proves I was very sick – sick beyond my comprehension.

I came down sick on Tuesday and it seemed to get worse every day with a few false feeling good moments… but I kept holding off. Then Friday when I woke up I could not move without even sharper pain. Enough is an enough.

We went to the Kennestone’s ER.

We arrived at 9:30am and left after dark. That happens at ERs – you stay a while. Except when it is a stroke or an heart-attack, then they rush you right through. I know.

I was giving a bunch of tests and x-rays which is all timely, and has to be coordinated… and all that ads up in minutes.

Anna wondered what they will find. Dreading appendicitis or a bad gall bladder I said I hope one them just for kicks lights a match near my anus and poof! a six foot blue flame shoots out and everything is fine… got rid of the gas problem!

Across the aisle from us we heard an elderly in pain. Her sharp talking husband was nice to her, even though she cut him down, corrected him, and generally rode him. They had New York accents! That was they way they communicated.

Apparently the old hag fell a few days ago and like me she put off going to the ER.

After hours and moaning and screaming I saw a young thick black hair doctor enter their room and begin talking to them. After a few sentences he said, “Where are you from?”
The man said, “Isn’t it oblivious? New York.”

“Where at?”

“Brooklyn.”

Then he said he was from upstate New Jersey – he named some little town , which is probably right across the Hudson from the Big Apple.

Then they got down to a direct confrontational conversation. He said he would not operate on that certain vertebrae as the ex-ray showed chipped or cracked because she had done that years ago. She said she knew where it hurt and it was right there. He more or less told her she didn’t know what she was talking about, put her hand on it, which she did and he said that is not the one the ex-ray showed damage….. they talked to each other in their New Yorkish stand-off for a brief time then came to a friendly agreement. I think it is a ritual thing.

After we were loaded with prescriptions and whatever else I were released.

The pain pills are a doozy. The other day it had me dreaming my old childhood friend Sam Streaking across the rows at the newly innovated The Strand Theater in Marietta.

Since then I have been getting slightly progressivelly better each little length time and this morning I woke up and breathed with no pain.

But I still have my coughing spasms…. Which hopefully will leave in its own good time too.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep fighting Eddie. Glad you feeling better.

Skip

kenju said...

Having had pneumonia, I know how you are feeling. Nothing ever laid me our flat like that did. I hope you will be better soon, Eddie, but don't push it or you will have a relapse.

Anonymous said...

Eddie,
When all is well, ask you doctor to get you a pneumonia shot. They are supposed to last 5 years.

Eddie said...

Skip,
Thanks. I am afraid to afraid to fight, afraid it might fight back.. joking, thanks skip.

Kenju,
You are right pneumonia is a very painful body-state to be in. It takes the fun out of everything.
And it is happening right in the middle of our anniversary and Anna's birthday, not to mention Christmas and News Year.... I hope it will have worn itself thin by our anniversary.

Johnny,

Thanks. It never occurred to get an pneumonia shot along with my flu shot. I bet it will next season.

Si's blog said...

Glad you are OK. Sounds like a rough time. But now you are back to your blog. How selfish we all are.

Eddie said...

Si,
I can out-selfish anybody any time. For instance, I weighed today and discovered I lost 8 pounds during my ordeal... hah!

Postino said...

Ed, old bwah...I'm so glad you are back amongst the living because I was about to call Anna and see when the funeral would be. I was very worried about you; when you aren't pounding away at a keyboard I know you must be sick. Or dead.

The holidays will have to take care of themselves while you take care of yourself. You want to be around to enjoy Christmas 2009, 2010 and beyond. So get better and don't worry about the other stuff.

Eddie said...

El Postino,

Well thank you El. It was interesting the way you chatted off the rolling repeating times of infinity.

A new glitch just came up yesterday. My ER doctor called and suggested I get with my primary doctor as soon as possible - they found cultures growing in my urine sample. I wonder what they do with that stuff? Harvest it?

Susan Tidwell said...

You are back! Glad you are back among the living again. Loved your story of the Yankees, they certainly have their way of talking, which to me sounds like arguing all the time, but to each his own, right? Hope you continue to improve.

Eddie said...

Susan,
Thank you. It is good to be back believe me - even sitting upright feels like a divine gift.
I still have have one foot buried in it...but hopefully will gradually improve.

Suzanne said...

Pneumonia is pretty bad, but it would be worse to be married to either of those people. A lifetime of pain!

Suzanne said...

More important, I'm glad you are feeling better.

Eddie said...

Thanks, Suzanne.
I still have an uncontrollable hacking cough, but it is not painless at all now, just uncomfortable. Before, the antibiotics kicked in it was like my breast meat was pounding against little pins or blades each time I hacked.
Tomorrow it will be even better, and the next day, and....cough!