Thursday, December 14, 2006

Who or What Really Won?


A person I know the other day, in a bragging manner, said he was proud of Sears. They were brave enough to use the word “Christmas” this season.

Brave enough?

When the masses are on your side, I don’t know if “brave” is the right word.

Wall-Mart is also “brave” enough to use the word “Christmas” Christmas signs are all over their stores. And so are other big department stores.

I think the marketing departments at these stores found that treating everybody equally and avoiding the word “Christmas” a costly error. Many people boycotted stores that did not use the word Christmas.

I don’t know if you can chalk that up for one for the Christians or for the sweet sound of the cash register.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I am bravely touting about the phrase "Merry Xmas!" Just my way of keeping the "x" in xmas!

Eddie said...

Bird,
I like that. Maybe we should start a movement "Help Put The X Back in Christmas!"

Unknown said...

that wouldn't make me a pariah in the community at all, ed...

Eddie said...

I can imagine, but you might help the econmoy - the hardware store has been trying to get rid of that bucket of tar and old sack of feathers for quiet a while now.

Unknown said...

I don't know...if they didn't tar and feather me when I answered the question, "what is your religion" with "secular humanist"...I may be safe..

Eddie said...

By the time they looked up "secular humanist" in the dictionary you can get a head start, like when I looked up "pariah" not too many minutes ago.

kenju said...

Eddie, I am certain that the cash register is behind it. The movement for the last several years not to buy from stores that didn't say Merry Christmas really put a dent in their profits.

Suzanne said...

I know that my protest of the stores that insist on assualting me with their Christmas wishes won't matter. But I am boycotting anyway. Harumph!

Eddie said...

Judy,
The jings of a cash register is more influential than any Christmas song.
Suzanne,
It all adds up or not add up.

Unknown said...

yesterday, i was at the dollar store looking for some inexpensive (yes, CHEAP!) gift bags to bring some goodies to co-workers. TRY AS I MIGHT, I could not find one that didn't have a reference to christmas, noel, silent night, etc. I couldn't find a good old secular humanist xmas bag...

Eddie said...

Maybe a brown paper sack with a big red X will work.