Thursday, December 07, 2006

December the 7th, 1941


Do you remember what you were doing this date 65 years ago?

I don’t. I was alive but only about 4 and half months old. We lived in a old house on Atlanta Street owned by my aunt Bee’s husband Spencer. The house was about three blocks from downtown Marietta.

Railroad tracks separated our yard from the people who lived behind us yard. Once my sister, age 3.5 and the neighbor’s boy Neal, age 2.75, was out playing by the tracks when a man walked up and reclined on the railroad tracks just as train came up. My sister doesn’t remember the bloody details.

I wonder if the invasion of Pearl Harbor inspired the man to commit himself to death like that? It was about the same time.

I talked to Neal recently at the Bell Gang Annual Reunion. He is retired from Lockheed and has a long white beard and each December dresses in a Saint Nick red suit and visit poor children…. I think he might give away small gifts to the kids.

Now, where our house was is a grassy knoll, as the beginning base of Hunter’s Bridge, a railroad bridge named Hunter’s Bridge, but that is another story.

5 comments:

kenju said...

I was alive too, but only about 5 weeks old.

Eddie said...

Judy,
Does that you have to respect your elders (me)?

Suzanne said...

On that date, my mom was 23 chromosomes in an ovary, forget about me.

How awful about the suicide, though.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eddie said...

Suzanne,
That is a neat time perceptive.
Yes, that was bad about the suicide - I suppose during those times everybody had to take inventory of themselves... who knows what strange thoughts rattled their brains.