Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Fabulous Freak Bros vs Coen Bros vs Homer What Are Thou?





I am re-reading, or re-looking, at the book  THE FABULOUS FURRY FREAK BROTHERS LIBRARY, VOL. 3. by Gilbert Shelton, Dave Sheridan, and Paul Mavrides. 

click to enlarge to read balloons


On page 37,  I came across an interesting scene:  The Freak Brothers are about to be hung by a crooked sheriff and his deputies and a flash flood saves the day (above).




I instantly thought of the movie  O' BROTHER WHERE ART THOU? by the Coen Brothers, which has the identical plot: a group of padres  about to be hung and a flash flood saves the day.

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers Vol 3 was published 1988.   O'BROTHER WHERE ART THOU was released in 2000.

The movie O' BROTHER .... is made to be a near modern day epic ODYSSEY believed  to be by Homer.... nearly scene by scene of the movie runs along with ODYSSEY.... I do not know about the surprise flood interrupting a multiple hanging.  I saw the movie ODYSSEY with Kirk Douglas but did not read the book.  I bet Homer left some kind of reference of near the same thing.


No comments: