Thursday, May 24, 2012

A House Is Not a Home If the Spat Scars Are Covered Up


This house was built by Hunters near Blairsville, Union County, Georgia, in the mid 1800s. It was built by William Johnson Hunter (1813-1899), son of my g-g-g grandfather John Hunter.




I first visited the house in the late 1970s. Austin Hunter Wallis, a direct descendent of William Johnson Hunter invited me to see it. She showed my uncle Doug Hunter and I around. She pointed out a few scars on the house that each had its own story. For instance: She pointed out a few bullet holes in the front room. The tale for the bullet holes was that the Hunters had a family ruckus that got ugly. Nobody was killed.
Years later Austin told me they are restoring the house to make it look like it first did. Austin died in 2006.

Last year I visited her brother who lives on top of the bill behind the old house. Before I visited him I drove down to look at the house. There were still building tools around. I asked him about them and he told me the restoring is still coming along, slowly.


Somehow I discovered that the restorer covered up the bullet holes. Damn!




 

No comments: