Saturday, December 12, 2009

On this Date in 1745


In 1745 John Jay (1745-1829) was born this date in history.

John Jay was one of founding fathers. He was president of the Continental Congress, statesman, revolutionary diplomat, the first Chief Supreme Court Justice, and many other things. To me, I like to think of him as a friend of the family.

One of my family names is Ridley. My grandmother on my mother’s side was born Frances Viola Ridley.

There was a ship owner in Baltimore named Matthew Ridley. He owned The Ranger which would later be commissioned and commanded by John Paul Jones.

Matthew Ridley, on his The Ranger, would carry Benjamin Franklin and John Jay to France for peace talks.

I don’t know that Matthew Ridley was blood kin but I suspect he was. During the Revolutionary War, my ancestor William Ridley, a cobbler and school teacher, enlisted and fought for the United States in the Carolinas.

After the war, William married Jane Pursley in North Carolina and they had six children. One of them was named Matthew. That is what they did back then, more than they do now, is to name their children after family members.

I think the swashbuckling Matthew Ridley may have been uncle Matthew Ridley.

2 comments:

kenju said...

Hmmm.....they went to France to talk about peaches? LOL

Judt kidding.

Eddie said...

Judy,
Ooopps!

Or to save face: I'm sure the went to France to talk about Peaches. Ben Franklin loved a good peach (the juicy kind men like) and heard France had a lot of loose peaches.