Tuesday, December 29, 2009

How Is Your GARMIN Hanging?


Not long ago I was sitting and eating with several people I know. But the truth is, the others know each other more than they know me or I know them. You might say I was a “slight” outsider. What else is new?

I think there were about five or six people. I think each of them brought up their GARMIN at one time or another in the conversation.

First I thought GARMIN was a person. But then the more they talked I thought a GARMIN maybe was a little hand-held toy, like a yo-yo. Maybe a GARMIN was a modern MOJO. Then one person said something about mounting their GARMIN. Mounting? Is it an inflatable-adult toy?

Finally, I asked what a GARMIN was and one person politely (not talking down to me) said that it was a GPS system. This little group are not much on traveling as far as I know. I think if they made many trips outside of their comfort zone I would have heard about it. Most of their driving is done in a 30 mile radius of places they already know well.

So, why do you need a GARMIN to show you how to get to someplace you know already?

I get directions before to places I haven’t been before and if I make a wrong turn or miss my stopping point I will find out about it eventually and turn around. It certainly isn’t worth dollars to me get it right the first time. That is one of the reasons we leave early.

Yesterday I heard another person use the word GARMIN. when someone was trying to tell her directions say, “Don’t worry, I’ll use my GARMIN.!”

Ahah! It is a status symbol-gadget toy! Why didn’t they say so?

I want one!

I guess I am a backwards soul. I haven’t figured any excuse to justify owning a GARMIN yet. But just give me time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

R O C K-
IV AND PR WERE IN DALLAS, TX. IN 2000 FOR A DELBERT MCCLINTON CONCERT . WE RENTED A SMALL CAR AND IT HAD A GARMIN BUILT IN IT. WE SET THE PLACE WE WERE LEAVING AND OUR HOTEL DESTINATION. THERE IS A LOOP AROUND DALLAS SIMILAR TO 285, AND LOTS OF CONSTRUCTION GOING ON. WHEN WE GOT CLOSE TO OUR DESTINATION,WE FOLLOWED DIRECTIONS AND WOUND UP ENDING INTO A MASSIVE DIRT WALL INSTEAD OF THE HOTEL PARKING LOT.I ASSUME THE NEW GPS ARE A LOT MORE EFFICIENT NOW THAN THEN. I AM LIKE YOU. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO FIND MY WAY EITHER BY PRIOR DIRECTIONS OR A ROAD MAP.
WANNA EAT?
PR

G said...

Having a Garmin would be like falling backwards and trusting someone to catch you! Like PR, we rented a car once with a GPS system. It drove me nuts.

Belated Merry Christmas to all!

Isn't the BJR concert this week?