Friday, May 01, 2009

Dave Poe's and Sam & Dave's BBQ


We went to one our favorite barbecue eateries tonight, Sam & Daves’ BBQ #2 on Whitlock Avenue in Marietta

We pulled into the nearly vacant shopping center and were surprised to see that Sam & Daves’ BBQ #2 is not longer there. It is still a barbecue eatery, but the name of it now is Dave Poe’s BBQ.

Dave Poe, before uniting BBQ forces with Dave and Sam was a prize winner barbecue cooker with Stump and Sons BBQ. “Stump” is what they called their mama, Mrs. Poe. Stump and Sons had a big long smoker with wheels that they transported it by pulling it like a trailer to various Cobb County functions that would have hoards of people.

We went to the counter to check the menu on the wall. The menu seemed to be the same. We asked the cashier what happened to Sam * and she said he has the Sam & Dave’s BBQ #1 on Lower Roswell Road.

We ordered pulled pork salads and they were as delicious as always.

I am not sure, this is just my theory but I think there are two Daves involved in the Sam & Daves’ BBQ enterprise up to this point. Now, with Dave Poe having his own BBQ eatery the sign on the other Sam & Daves’ on Lower Roswell Road can still be technically correct. Just take the apostrophe from the in back of the word Daves’ and put it between the e and s to become Dave’s – thus you will have Sam & Dave’s BBQ. Picky picky.

*Sam Huff is a lawyer and his father was a judge… and maybe Sam became a judge too – I forgot.

10 comments:

Mike B said...

According to this morning's paper, Sam and Dave's #1 is now known as Sam's BBQ #1. Looks like they've split the S&D empire in two. Had lunch at Dave's yesterday and spoke to him briefly. Didn't ask the question because I didn't know if it had been an unhappy divorce. Dave won't monkey around with the menu, so the clientele should stay happy.

Eddie said...

Mike,

Have you been to Sam's BB#1? It is just a little bigger than a hole in the wall. I think it can seat about 6 or 8 people. I think they cater mostly to the take-out trade.
You are right, Dave's seems to be the same type of bbq and extras. The coleslaw still has little pineapple chunks in it and the bbq pork is just as juicy as ever.
We have been twice since the split,the second time we had bbq salads and they were good too.

Anonymous said...

Went to Dave Poes BBQ. WHAT A RIP-OFF. Lunch platter cost me $9.05 with a drink. Nothing to rave about and the portions were little. He is making money.

Eddie said...

The times I have been there I thought the meat was juicy (and fatty) and the portions were generous. I think everybody or every restaurant has its bad day... that has happened to me after visiting some restaurants some were raving about.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Dave Poe's BBQ. The St. Louis Ribs are the BEST ribs over Chilis, Outback, You name it! The only ribs that are comparable are in St. Louis!

Eddie said...

A,
Yea,
for
Dave!

Rick said...

Eddie, what's an "appositive" referenced in your original post?

Eddie said...

Rick,
I goofed. I was typing with the flow of my mind. I tried to look it up to correct it but can't find the similar word I am looking for. I am looking for the word that the symbol ' stands for. As in Eddie's blog.

I'll keep looking.

Eddie said...

Rick,
I found the word I was looking for:

Apostrophe.

So, there you go!

davismac said...

Had the Brisket Plate... outstanding as was the collards and Mac & Cheese.