Friday, August 18, 2023

Scouts' Abuser or Abusee?

 

In the news today one of the items is abuse by Boy Scout leaders.  The BSA have something like 3.5 billion dollars ready to pay the scout abusees.

I was in the scouts in my preteen years.  I asked myself “was I ever abused?”  I immediately replied to myself,  “You betchum!”

I was not abused sexually but physically and painfully,  I was.

It happened one evening before the meeting.  Then we were meeting at the Marietta Place basketball Auditorium.

Several of us, including one adult, were standing outside waiting for someone to come with a key.

The adult had a son in the Scouts and I think the man was to be a new Scout leader. It was his 2nd or 3rd meeting.. 

The father’s occupation was cover illustrator for a well known news magazine.

We were standing around talking small talk.  When inspired, I am very witty, or at least I thought I was.  I don’t remember the wise-crack I said, but the man slapped me, slapped me hard.

I was speechless.  It hurt bad.  And it was embarrassing.

I don’t remember what was said after that.  Surely, by that, with him around, I had leaned to keep my mouth shut.

And I have still kept it shut concerning that incident.

I kept it shut because my daddy was chief of police at the time.  I was unsure what he might do.  So I “took the high road,”  or probably more fitting, “ let sleeping  dogs lie”.



No comments: