Sunday, August 06, 2023

Podcast Listening on Walks

I walk almost everyday and usually listen to music on my earphones. The music gives you a beat to walk to, not to mention it also takes you back when you were much younger. HOWEVER! There is also the Word you can listen to, like books read to you and Podcasts. I personally don’t like books read to me because my mind wanders off the story line. So, I decided try out listening to Podcasts off and on. This morning I heard a very interesting article about Harvey Kurtzman, the first editor of MAD Comic book and all the other publishing endeavors he got himself into. Underground comic creators consider Kurtzman their Daddy.. Jokingly he demanded a blood test. The podcast interviewed a person who has written many articles and some books about Kurtzman, Bill Schelly. It kept my wandering brain to stay focused on the subject, something I have been deeply interested in since I was in the 7th grade, about 70 years ago. Schelly mentioned that Underground comicbook pioneer Robert Crumb thought Kurtzman was great and they were going to do an article for ESQUIRE Magazine and everything went sour. That is all he said about that subject. Eager to know about the subject when I got home from my walk I Googled Bill Schelly and read he died in 2019, 2 years ago. So, I won't be asking him any direct questions, but he did leave published several essays and articles about the comicbook world. Oh, I forgot to mention that it appears that everybody on a podcast talks too fast, which I do not like. It is hard to keep up with. It is like they are trying to cram more words per minute in their dissertation. Do they get paid per word?

No comments: