Tuesday, August 22, 2023

A Mother & Son's Strange Hobby

 The funeral I went to yesterday I did not know everyone there. Of course not. I don't think at most funeral everyone knows everyone attending. There are two family groups, friends, and neighbors.

One of my cousins brought a camera and she was taking pictures of relatives'
Which brings me to this. I worked at the Postal Service in Atlanta at the Federal Annex as a time keeper/data collection clerk for many years, and on my routine trips around the huge building to pick up time cards at certain times, by an elevator I had to stand and wait a couple of minutes. The elevator was right in the middle of the parcel post distribution area. While standing there, several times during my day I got to know some of the distribution clerks. One was a tall goofy guy who accent was like an accent making fun of southern accents. But, his was for real. He made every one syllable two syllables. He looked about 50 or years old.
In time I learned he was single, lived with his mother and loved to read western books. OK, nothing wrong with that.
Then, when he got to know me better he told me that he and his mother had a hobby jointly: They looked over the obituaries and pick out which funerals they wanted to attend or have a visitation with. Then, while mingling with the survivals they would slip and take a picture of the deceased lying in the casket. Sometimes they would get caught and have to exit the funeral parlor in a hurry. Which, might have been interesting to see, the mother was probably at least 70 or older. He said they had a bunch of albums of their "collection", After that bit of confidential information I started using the stairs and lost some weight.
All's well that ends well.

No comments: