Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Alaska 10, Denali National Park

We got to visit one of America's largest nature parks, Denali.  It is 6 millions acres, bigger than the state of Connecticut. 
Although it has the highest mountain in the United States, it was planned to be a refuge safe environment for Dall Goats and Dall Sheet.  Their furs were in demand.

This month is the 100th year anniversary  of Denali Park.   

click to make the pictures seem larger than life.













\




Over and Below: Mount Denali may be party hiding in these clouds in front of us, our guide said.



This young native maiden was there to give us a brief language lesson of her tribe.  Before she spoke one of the guild said she had one request:  No videos.  I took her picture and she turned her head sideways and laughed.  We jest!
But then she got to business.  She is a college student, in Anchorage I think she said.  She is studying her tribe's history to hand down.










Anna's moose picture

It seemed that we were warned  to stay away from Moose.  We were told moose are very territorial, especially   females.  A bear doesn't want to be around you any  more than you want to be him/her.  But a moose will try to harm you to insist that you get the hell away.
And then we were sitting waiting on the tour bus to pick us up to take us back to the motel when Anna looked up and saw what she thought was a statue of a moose.  It moved.  She took its picture and took everybody's advice and moved.
I stood there and it got closed closer.  I took its picture at less than 15 feet away.  It kept strolling towards me.  Now, what do I do?
It strolled right by me.  I don't think it even noticed me.
Sometimes it pays to be invisible!  


My moose picture (same moose)






No comments: