Thursday, November 08, 2012

Whitehead and the Little Spy Who Came in From the Cold



The second favor I did for Miss Whitehead : I remember it was a cold rainy day. She came to our class and told the teacher she wanted to see me and for me to bring my coat. "Oh-oh, what did I do this time?" I wondered.

She told me she wanted to know if I knew where the new Polish refugee kids lived. I said yes and she smiled and said she thought I would. I was about to tell her they lived on Atlanta Street, just around the corner from the other Polish Refugees on Goss Street. She interupted me and told me she needed to know if they moved or were still there. Both kids haven't been to school in two weeks. She said not to tell anybody this, what she was telling me was between her and me. We were buddies. She said her as a principal didn't need to know until officially told, but if they had gone, her as a person wanted to know. We understood each other. She sent me on my way.


I walked in the rain to the house, about 2/10ths of a mile away and knocked on the door. No one came to the door. I walked around the house looking for signs of life. No sounds, no lights, no nothing.



I walked back to the school and reported my findngs or no findings to Miss Whitehead, my co-conspiritor. She said she thought they might have moved during the night someplace but reminded me not to tell anybody.


I just did.

No comments: