Monday, March 12, 2012

Take Care of Their Own



Last night, just before bedtime I routinely let our dog Willow out to “take care of business”. Usually, within minutes she is back at the door scratching.; but not this time.

That wasn’t like her. I got a flashlight and went to the back yard to check things out. In the darkness of a tree shadow of moonlight I heard a crunch, then another crunch. I shined my light in the direction and saw Willow bent over something.
I moved in closer to get a better look. Willow was standing over a freshly killed rabbit (two pieces). It was severed about an inch below its neck. Angrily I made Willow go back inside with me.

It was not entirely her fault, although she was the one that did the killing and was about the one to do the eating. She was bred to hunt. It was an instinct. She had killed chipmunks, squirrels, and other rabbits who dared come into our back yard. Most get away but at times I have seen her snatch a poor animal behind its neck, give it a good jerk and it suddenly becomes limp.

I thought I would get rid of the rabbit’s remains in the morning when it was daylight. We considered the options of burying it, flinging it someplace far out in the woods, or whatever. Finally, we decided to put it in several layers of plastic bags. Pour a box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda in behind it and put it in our garbage can.

This morning, after our walk I waited for it to get daylight and then I went to the backyard with several plastic bags. I had a mission.

The rabbit (both parts) was gone. I looked all over our chain-linked back yard and it was not there. The only thing I can figure that it was eaten by either hawk, owl, fox, or whatever else scavenger or animal of prey. One thing for sure nature took care of its own doing its Chain of Life thing.

You heard the expression We Take Care of Our Own haven't you?

No comments: