Monday, November 08, 2010

That Old Time Religion, Reality Religion, That Is



I copied the above picture a couple weeks ago. It is a picture of a hanging. On the back of the picture is:
May 7, 1908, a sad and eventful day in Lawrenceville, Ga.”

A sad and eventful day? It seems that the words Sad and Eventful do not belong in the same sentence. But, I suppose there are people in the crowd that are sad and others who consider it eventful. They just witnessed a hanging.

If you click on the picture to make it larger you can see who the victim was. I don’t know if it was a legal hanging or just an old fashion lynching.

Either way, see the many people who wanted to be there to see someone’s life jerked out of his body. People, in general, have a morbid curiosity. I think that is why reality TV and boxing are watched by lots and lots of people.

I heard countless of times that church leaders are concerned about the declining church attendance on Sunday mornings. I think I have a solution.

Remember reading about in the old days when the Catholic Church burned people at the stake or chop off their heads for witchcraft or for being anti-religion or having open minded?

Now, if the church could get the governing officials to look the other way, so to speak, or pass laws to allow it, to have a pubic execution every Sunday morning at the church of your choice.

I bet the Sunday morning churchs’ attendance would be standing room only.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had an adventure.
I lived in an apartment on Baltimore Place and met some people: Jeff Espina 12 string man and some other far out people. That was an adventure