Sunday, November 30, 2008

Gwinnett County Courthouse, Lawrenceville, Ga


click for my-gawd bigness

Yesterday we went to a post-Thanksgiving Dinner, or Thanksgiving Phase II, with relatives in Lawrenceville, Georgia.

We drove through downtown Lawrenceville I couldn't help but admiring the regency beauty of their old Gwinnett County courthouse.

I made a mental note to take a picture of it on the way back home. By then it was even better, because more of a fog moved in to make the big building stand out even more.

By the way, in 1978, Larry Flint was shot down here by an unknown assassin, paralyzing him for life. Larry was on a lunch break at his trial for obscenity charges that was published in his HUSTLER magazine.

4 comments:

Si's blog said...

When we lived in Texas, enjoyed seeing the variety of old county and city courthouses. Wish I had taken pictures.

Seems like so many are giving way to modern city and county centers. No personality.

Eddie said...

Si,
You are right, the new courthouses have no personality. I think they must have gave way to cheaper architects.

Deborah Wilson said...

Nice picture, Eddie - I like the tower to the left - it gives the old building character.

Eddie said...

Thank you Deborah,

I didn't realize it when I took it but I sort of tilted the camera to get it all in from bottom to top and the tilt look gives the illusion of a Hollywood movie prop, like it is just a big high flat cardboard.