Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Off Limits

Posted on Facebook 9 years ago. In January 1965, the USS NEWPORT NEWS, the Navy ship I was on docked at New Orleans. We met a British ship. The plan was that we were to reenact The Battle of New Orleans - you know, the War of 1812, with Old Hickory Andrew Jackson leading the battle (after the treaty has been signed?). I suppose they the reenactment was a charm, I hit the city and came back to the ship 2 or 3 days later. Before they let us leave the ship they gave us a printed list of "OFF LIMITS" bars. We were to avoid those places. It was my bar list. The first one on the list I visited my Navy friends and the locals had a good time.... one girl took off her blouse dancing. That same bar was on the HBO series TREME' last night. I immediately recognized it. It was closed down and in the story line Davis, one of the regular story-line characters were looking for investors. Maybe in the story line, if they do get the bar opened for business again, maybe they should put out the word it is "OFF LIMITS" maybe it would draw a bigger crowd.

No comments: