Saturday, July 15, 2023

Memories of an ex-paper boy

 

Memories as a paper boy.

When I was a preteen I had an Atlanta Journal paper route.  At the edge of my route at the corner of South Avenue and Waterman Street was Yancy’s Store , ran by the elderly Mr. and Mrs. Yancy.  I think I was a welcome site when I came in.  I always bough plenty of candy.

What stirred thus memory up was at Krogers yesterday on a display was a candy bar covered with peanuts.  It reminded me of the old PAYDAY candy bar that I bought many at Yancy’s Store.

They also sold in a bin malt balls.  I think malt balls were very cheap, like 2 for a penny.  I used to buy a quarter’s worth of malt balls and visit the monkey down the street at the corner of South Avenue and Frazier Stree..

The man who lived there owned a restaurant on he 4-Lane where the NYC restaurant is now.  He owned a spider monkey which he kept on a chain in his font yard while he was at work.

I would toss the primate a malt ball and he would grab it with human like hands and put it in his mouth.  He Looked like he appreciated it. 

Just like the elderly Yancy couple, the monkey liked to see me coming.

No comments: