Friday, November 11, 2016

Speaking of Veterans: Wounded Veteran Bill Spinks






Bill Spinks was a veteran.  He lost part of his arm as a soldier .  Here is part of his obituary in the Marietta Daily Journal:
"He was a World War II combat veteran who was wounded on February 6, 1945 at the Ruhr River Crossing. William won numerous medals including the European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, World War II Victory Medal, American Campaign Medal and The Purple Heart. William was honorably discharged after serving as a Private First Class Rifle Marksman and a Combat Infantryman Badge GO3 HQ in the 39th Infantry, 9th Division, Company K."

Bill Spinks died Monday, November 7, 2016.  He and my uncle Robert Spencer Crain co-owned C&S Bonding Company.  Also he and daddy and daddy's brothers were friends with him, and so was Anna's mother, aunt, and uncles - when they were neighbors growing up on Reynolds Street.
In high school I visited his and his wife Helen's daughter Patsy often.  I remember one time we were all sitting in the den and their little tiny dog was persistent hunching my leg.  Patsy and Helen ignored the pumping action but I saw a wry glint of humor in Bill's facial expression.
Not many years ago at Mayes Ward Funeral Home we were paying our respects, I forgot to whom, and Bill walked out of the crowd and hugged my mother-in-law Marie (they were teens in the same neighborhood).  Marie turned to me and said, "Bill, do you know my..." (she was about to say 'son-in-law Eddie Hunter).

Bill interrupted her and shook my hand and said, "Hello Rock!"  We haven't seen each other for 30 years.  Bill looked the same but I don't think I did.  He had a good memory.  And I have a good lovable memory of him.

No comments: