Monday, July 14, 2014

Penis Head





A dozen years or so ago one day we were shopping in Krogers.  Over the store's PA system I head the clicking sound like someone thumping the mike to make sure there was sound and announced something like this:  "Attention Krogers Shoppers!  The manager here, Mister Johnson* is a penis head!"

At the time Mr. Johnson*, was nearby.  He rushed to the manager's office and the freshly fired teenager rushed out.  For the next several times we shopped at that Krogers every time I looked at that manager, I thought, "Penis head!"  If I remember correctly, he was bald headed - which might have even made his head look circumcised.

When I think of that now, I am  reminded of many incidents when I  was a "carry out boy" at the Big Apple Grocery Store, across from Roswell Street Baptist Church..   My co-workers , the late Roger Garrett and Larry Bradford kept me laughing with their antics.

After the store hours ended we could not leave until the last customer paid for their groceries and left the building.  That would encourage some of my friends (not to mention names) to get in the next aisle and lob things over the shelves, hopefully giving them the hint  it was time to leave - sometime it was a bunch of grapes, sometimes something messier. 

One time on my lunch break I found a dark place between stacks of stock in the back room to just relax.  I heard someone come in the stock room.  He was humming.  It was Larry Bradfor's voice.  I didn't stir or say anything - I wanted to be alone.  What Larry was doing was opening a container of Cool Aid.  He reached over the boxes I thought I was hiding behind and dumped the Powderly  Kool Air on me and ran out laughing like Popeye, like "Ka ka ka ka!".  I came out of the back store room brushing it off and making signs at Larry that he was going to pay dearly.  Which he didn't.

I forgot if Larry got fired or not.  I don't see how the manager, L.L. Thurmond would have  the type of heart to fire anybody - he was go gentle.  But, to keep us in stitches Larry rode back and forth in front of the  store hollowing , "L.L.!"  many times.

I remember when Jenkie Latimer was killed in the car wreck.  I called in the next morning to tell L.L. I wouldn't be in, a friend was killed in a wreck.  He told me if I valued my job I would.  


I valued my friendship and felt my close friends and I needed  consoling.  I quit. - If I had thought of it, I would probably called L.L. a Penis Head.

*Fictitious name.

No comments: