Tuesday, July 08, 2014

My Burger Ranch Burger I Paid For





My friend Janice asked me what was the name of the drive-in hamburger joint, just south of the Bowling Alley on the 4-Lane.  I promptly told her Burger Ranch.  Then I pictures their delicious hamburgers on delicious sesame seed buns and added that.

This reminded me of a time in high school years, hanging out  at Atherton Drug Store one Friday, Wimpy* told me had a date but didn't have any money.  He asked me could he borrow some.  I said I only had $2 but I would lend it to him, which he gladly took.

That night, after hanging out in the parking lot at Varners   Larry and I drove over to Burger Ranch and  went inside.  I was broke, and hungry.  We were just sitting there and Wimpy*  walked in.  He ordered a jumbo hamburger, which cost about $2.  (my $2).  He brought his jumbo burger on a sesame seed bun over to our table and sat down and talked about this and that.  He never did bite into that burger.

Finally Wimpy*  said, "I don't know why I ordered this, I'm not even hungry."  He shoved it over to Larry and said, "Here, you eat it."

Larry said he wasn't hungry either and pushed it back to Wimpy*  I was completely left out of the equation, even though it was bought with my money.  I was invisible

Wimpey* said for him to eat it or he is going to throw it away.

Larry said, "OK, just to keep you from throwing it away."  And ate it

I saw Wimpy* at the Varner Reunion this year and thought of that time about 57 or so years ago. (remember that next time you have a chance to mistreat someone - it will be remembered).

Wimpy* = not real name.






No comments: