Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Mr. Crumley


On a post yesterday I told about Billy Boy. This is a continuation, sort of.

Billy Boy had a supervisor named Crumley. Crumley was a little short bald head man who had very clear diction. He also spoke in a manner that he was scowling so you had better not cross him. That was just the face nature and heredity gave him – in reality, he was as gentle as a lamb.

Crumley had a Saturday morning radio show broadcasted from a radio station in East Point or Forest Park or some other town just southwest of Atlanta. He radio program was a program of charity. He announced who was raising funds for what and what method – bake sales, old clothes sale, 5 & 10K races, and so on. I think the weekly program was only 30 minutes long.

Once one of the men who worked under him died. Crumley did something unspeakable. He allowed all of the people for him to attend the funeral. He gave each of them administrative leave that day – allowing them enough hours to go home and bathe before the funeral.

Upper management bosses were practically foaming at the mouth they were so enraged. Crumley, who I have hardly paid attention too, suddenly got my respect. After that I always made a point to give him a friendly wave when I was waiting on the elevator.

I wonder if Billy Boy carried his camera to the funeral?

2 comments:

kenju said...

That wouldn't happen in most workplaces. The people would have had to ask for a day off and they wouldn't get paid for it. That guy was really nice and I can see how he got your respect.

P.S.Thanks for the visit. I am #2, too, but I don't order double cheeseburgers - it is deep fried chicken....LOL

Eddie said...

Judy,
I like KFC (Original). By the way, Happy Fat Tuesday!