Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Carol Joe, the Covered Bridge, and Valentines


The grave is at Noonday Baptist Church.

As I grew up in Cobb County we had two covered bridges to enjoy. One was between Smyrna and Mableton and the other was between Marietta and Roswell.

Now we have one covered bridge.

Carol Joe Clayton had a head-on collision with the one between Marietta and Roswell. It killed Carol Joe and demolished the bridge.

It happened on a Valentine Night, February the 14th, 1963, when I was in the Navy.

Carol Joe and I grew up side by side. For about six years we lived next door to him and his family. He used to tell me he was born on Halloween. But his marker states he was born the day before Halloween.

At his mother’s wake a couple of years ago (on Super Bowl Sunday) I mentioned to his brother that I always thought Carol Joe was born on Halloween. His brother said, “Yep, born on Halloween and died on Valentines”.

I still don't know what day Carol Joe was born on. I wonder if the marker is wrong?

Which ever day Carol Joe was born he died on Valentines.

9 comments:

kenju said...

If the date is right, he was born on my birthday, when I was two. It was always trick-or-treat night in my state (WV).

Deborah Wilson said...

That's real sad about your friend, Eddie...

I know that the covered bridge in Smyrna is dangerous, only a one lane and very dark - I always approach it slowly - with headlights on.

But anyway, I hope that you and Anna have a wonderful Valentine's Day.

Eddie said...

Judy,
Well, at least on your birthday you don't have to worry about lacking any candy.

Deborah,
Yes, that covered bridge in Smyrna is dangerous. Not only for cars taking times going across the one-lane bridge but also for pedestrians crossing the road on either side - it seems a car is always coming at you. That is a nice place area to walk... foliage, splashing rocks, and history!

Deborah Wilson said...

Yeah, a lot of history, and with the *witches grave* to boot. A lot of kids use to go up to that grave, mine even dragged me up there once. I never did get why people believe the woman buried there was a witch, whether it is myth or real! Do you know where the grave is? lol

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I know of the Witches Grave at the Old Concord Baptist Church Cemetery but I have never seen it - I just found out about it about a year ago. When Anna and I first got married we bought a house near the corner of Hurt and Hicks Roads, which is fairly close to the covered bridge and we went down there a lot. Seven years later we sold the house to an old friend that I grew up with and he and his wife still live there. He told me about the Witch's Grave - and some other interesting residents of that cemetery. If I remember correctly one had the last name of Barnes, which it is in the area of Roy Barnes' family, so I would think they would be related.
Getting back to the covered bridge, have you ever went up the road, under what was the railroad tressel(?) and is now a bridge on the Silver Comet Trail - there, across the creek, in the woods with trees and bushes grown up all around it is what looks like a street car. I think it is probably a passenger train that toppled off the bridge, but I never read anything about it.

Deborah Wilson said...

I've been sitting here thinking about how that area would make for a good video, especially in foggy weather. I haven't heard about the street car but I'll investigate, hopefully it's still there. The best time to do it is before the kudzu and weeds start growing.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
You are right - beat the Kudzu.
Here is directions: Coming from Smyrna, when you go through the covered bridge turn right. Just before you get to the posts of the RR/Comet tressell pull over and park. The creek will be there on the right of the road. Look beyond the creek, sort of up a slope and study the terrain. There, if it is still there, the old rusty car, which I think is a railroad passenger car... when you go, please let me know if you see or don't see it.

Deborah Wilson said...

Eddie,

Gotcha! I'll get over one day next week. After Monday, I will finally have some free time, with everything caught up and even ahead a little bit. I'm thinking about doing a little video too.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
A video? Wheeee!