Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Admiration but not Envious

Some people make quick decisions without giving much thought of the long range effects. The kind that win and lose big sums of money. The kind that enjoy a good barroom fight. And the kind who may get tired of his job or his boss and just quit and move on. Or the kind that gets tired of their environment and move on with no thought where they are going until they get there and know "this is it".

I am not like that. Maybe, when I was in my 20s I was something like that, until I got married. But after a while you start thinking about investing for your retirement, and I sure as hell didn't want to leave my job that kept me in an income and hospitalization.

Now I am retired and recently I heard of someone older than I talking about his adventures going from one job to the next, and picking up his family and moving whenever he got the fever. I admire him because he has memories he will carry with him as long as he can remember. I, on the other hand, can not even remember many of the books I read before I was 40.

But do I envy him? Nope! The poor guy is going to have to work the rest of his life.

No comments: