Thursday, July 26, 2018

Where Crater Lake Is Now






On the 4-Lane, a.k.a. Cobb Parkway, in Kennesaw is a new fairly new shopping center.  The street that goes through it connecting the 4-Lane to the East-West Connector, aka Barrett Parkway  is named Crater Drive.

“So, where is the crater?”  a newcomer might ask.

In the late 1950s we used to go the body of water at the top of the hill.  I think it was a rock quarry.   I heard someone disappeared while swimming in it and they never found the body. Two of my friends bought scuba gear and learned how to use it in that water.

Several years ago I wondered if the big pond or little lake was still there.  We went looking for it.  Around the big hill was a trailer park.  Kids were out playing in the streets and grownups were hanging out talking.

At the top of the hill was a club of some kind and the view was the body of water many feet below.  Nice view.





The double-wide trailers were bull-dozed away and the families relocated themselves.  I suppose that is gentrification.


We have been to the new shopping center several times and I was curious what happened to the lake.  Did it get bulldozed away too?
Finally, I found it.  It now looks like a fenced in holding pond between two parking.    There is something sad about its new status.



No comments: