Sunday, February 04, 2018

Lord Bates and Me, We Are Just Alike






In the British Parliament's House of Lords member Lord Bates was tardy. Disgracefully, he resigned and walked out.  He said he held himself to a higher standard than that.

The prime minister had to coach him back.

That reminds me of me the one time I was late.

When I worked at the Atlanta Post Office in the time keepers' office.  Regardless of the weather, I was always at least thirty minutes early.

Occasionally someone would ask me how come I was always early.  I always replied, "What if there was a wreck or something with traffic backed up?"

And one time that is exactly what happened, a wreck.  Two lanes of traffic was blocked plus gawkers slowed my commute down.  I hit the time clock 5 minutes late.

The head of the data collection center (time keeping) wrote me up.  Although, legally employees had a 5 minute leeway to prevent congestion at the time clocks, he wrote me up and made a big deal out of it.

I asked him why, because some my coworkers were always running in 10 to 20 minutes late, complaining about the traffic.

He said, "I expect more from YOU!"

Which was a racist statement.  He and I were the only whites that worked in the office on that shift.

No comments: