Tuesday, July 21, 2020

My Old Stomping Grounds, Clay Homes

The first Seven years of my life I spent in the Clay Homes Low Rental Projects.  Well, time has moved on, the Clay Homes has been bulldozed away and Yuppies enjoy the Gentrification of downtown living. 

Clay Homes c1944.  Ed Hunter (Daddy) holding me with sister Frances in tow.


Mama (Janie) Petty Hunter and me, Clay Homes in back ground.




Our apartment took up the space of the building dead ahead at the corner of Wayland and Waddell Streets.  Across the street was Pete Steele's store.


Where Steele's Store was


This is the latest Home of the Marietta Daily Journal.  The same building was The Marietta Health Department.  On the left side there was a shady ditch adjacent to the building.  It was my secret hiding place when I wanted to be alone.


Behind Steeles Store, Marietta Health Department, the G.I. School for WWII returning veterans tro teach a trade,   and the Scoggins House is now a parking lot.  On the edge is the latest home of Brumby Rocker and the old Gray Hound Bus Station including the hangar shape garage.


I got hit by a care when riding, or coasting on my tricycle  down this drive and was knocked out.  Guess what?  I survived.  The 3 buildings up the hill, in my time left to right:  Sears and Roebuck, Marietta Provision, and Western Auto. I used to love to smell the rubber tires behind Western Autto.



This is Green Street, going up the hill until and runs into Waterman Street.  The cement steps climbing up the hill on the other side went to the bulldozed away Waterman Street Grammar School, which my Daddy and my uncles went to.  Me too!





No comments: